29 March 2007

Budweiser Budvar

OK, so no more stories or pictures of Afghanistan. I only spent a week there, so I think it’s safe to say I’ve milked it for all it’s worth. Well, OK here is a photo of my gear.

A-A-A-Army training, Sir


Notice how clean and shiny it is. Woooooo!

On Saturday I visited the open-air market downtown and went to the Ostermarkt (Easter market) which is also downtown. Because I wanted to... just listen to the music of the traffic in the city, linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty. How can you lose? The lights are much brighter there. You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares and go Downtown. Things'll be great when you're Downtown. No finer place for sure, Downtown, everything's waiting for you!

I took a walk to the office to pick up any mail that may have arrived in the last week. On the way home I stopped in at a mall by the train station. I guess they had just opened, and the place was so crowded…I tell you, it was a Madhouse!

I stopped in a bookstore, and all of the books were in German. Only it wasn't called a German bookstore, it was just called a bookstore, or whatever is German for bookstore. I don’t know what the hell it said, for all I know it could have said “You stupid American didn’t you ever take Geography?” So I bought a book.

When I was on the plane coming to Germany the guy I was sitting next to said to me, “You ought to pick up a German bible. It’s a really good way to learn the language. After all, you know all the stories.” I thought about quoting Isaiah to him, but I thought better of it.


So I go into this bookstore and I’m looking around and thinking about what this gentleman had told me. So I pick up “Schulkochbuch – Das Original” by Dr. Oetker, which evidently…

“Das Vertrauen in die gelingsicheren Rezepte hat dieses Buch zum meisterverkauften Dr. Oetker Kuchbuch gemacht.”

You don't believe it? Neither did I, but it says so right on the cover.


I thought that I should know some of the stories in this book too. Or at least how most of them end.

Here’s a picture of the Real Budweiser…


The REAL Budweiser

Mmmm, mmmm, good!

I had dinner at a Greek Seafood restaurant tonight. I had a whole fish that the cook picked off of the bones at the tableside. It was still a little bony, and I'm sure that I swallowed a few. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they either break down in my stomach, or at least travel through my colon longitudinally.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are back safe and sound?

Meredythe