19 February 2007

G-Day!!

After a long and rather uneventful plane flight from Newark, NJ, I landed in Frankfurt, Germany early this morning. My mother told me that she would be praying for the pilot, but I did her one better. I was sitting next to a Baptist preacher. He speaks maybe 6 languages fluently, and did some translating for Billy Graham. So I knew that I was safe on this flight. He was a very nice guy and we spoke on and off throughout the flight. It almost made me wish I hadn’t eaten that seventh deviled egg the night before…

I was not able to sleep much at all on the flight, so right now I am whooped! However, I do not want to go to sleep now since it is only mid-afternoon here. I don’t want to wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to bed.

It’s kind of a dreary day here, and has been drizzling off and on since I got here. I went out exploring anyway, because I was falling asleep in the room. I was wondering around in a slight daze from lack of sleep, and almost got lost several times. I was thinking that this Germany thing not have been such a good idea until I found something. Two separate shops with more pork products than I could ever imagine. Beautiful sausages and ham hanging around and calling out my name. I picked up some smoked blood sausage, cheese, a couple of rolls, and some mustard and headed back. On my way I stopped at a small pavilion and bought two excellent beers.

I came back to my room with the goods and fixed myself a couple of sandwiches. The only knife I have right now is a 1.5” pocket knife that I didn’t even know I had until it fell out of my carry-on baggage at the hotel. It doesn’t say much for homeland security, but it sure does the trick here.

Short post today because I am tiiiiiiiiiired. I am falling asleep here while typing this, and I do not want to get any spit on the keyboard.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it!!

Take care and keep us posted . . .

Steven.

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that you are now in Germany!! I went to the barn yesterday...chased about 20 cats and 1 squirrel...no cats got me!! Plenty of snow to eat. Loving life in Northern NJ. Tucker, your dog.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the preacher kept you safe. By the way - forgot to tell you HAPPY BIRTHDAY! This blog is a good idea, then we know our boy is safe and happy with all of that pork.

Judy

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, you got there just fine.

Keep in touch.

Beth

Garbo said...

Hi Tony;
Give us something to talk about. Show us your living quarters, have a dangerous liaison with some dark and lovely fraulein, give us the low down on the antique shops...
Aren't there any McDonalds over there? What's with all the food talk? If that's what 40-somethings talk about, I can't wait till you hit 50 so you can give us the details from your colonoscopy, PSA tests, and bm reports.
UofL is still winning and looking forward.
I know you'll do well there. You've always managed to make the crowd you're with fit to your warped perspectives.
God bless,
Garbo