13 February 2007

Counting down: G-DAY minus 6

I will hit the shores of Germany in 6 days.

Well, I won’t exactly hit the shores, more like hit the tarmac. Actually it will probably be concrete ... and the plane will be hitting it, not me.

I’ll be hitting the plush carpeting of the terminal in the Frankfort airport. At least I’m hoping that it’s plush.

Not as exciting as hitting the shores but, work with me, it’s all I’ve got.

Work is winding down; or rather, I am beginning to wind down at work. I apologize to anyone at the office who feels that I am leaving them in the lurch by taking this overseas position. That was not my intention and I tried to finish up everything that I could.

I am excited about the opportunity to live and work in another country. I started getting a little restless after spending about 13 years in Kentucky. This was in no small part inspired by Mike Gallagher. They were great years in Kentucky and I would not trade them for anything. Well … I might trade 2 of them, for anything (anything at all, really, what do you have to offer?), but that’s another story … I met a bunch of fantastic people there and made more than a few great friends. Rest assured I will remain a loyal Cardinal fan until the very end.

After 15 years in Kentucky, I moved back to my hometown in Pennsylvania, and I was just not happy there. Maybe it was the job, maybe the living arrangements, or perhaps you can’t go home again. Who knows? I ended up in Virginia for the last year and a half, and I’ve really enjoyed my time here. I’ve met and worked with some great people, and have made some good friends. I seem to meet good people everywhere I go; either the world is full of good people or opposites do attract. Alright, enough of the history lesson; I’m going to Germany fer chrissakes!

Germany, the land of 1250 breweries! Germany, the land of 1500 different sausages! Germany, the land of people who speak … well, uh, German.

i.e. not the language of which I am a native speaker.

should be fun…

p.s. The next two meals of the cassoulet were not as eventful as the first. The day before yesterday I heated some up in a skillet and topped it with two sunny-side-up eggs. Last night I added some grated cheese along with the sunny-side-up eggs. I’m not sure what should be more surprising, that I keep eating this or that it keeps getting better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I've tried twice so mebbe third time is a charm. Don't forget your friends back in ol' Kentucky. Don't forget BODECO, SCOTS, shots of whiskey before my wedding, Colt 45's on the long walk home the night Denham ditched us, shooting down the fence on my uncle's farm with your high-powered rifle, tons of good music and camraderie, not to mention about 6.0x10^23 events I can't recount here. Stay in touch, Steven

Janie said...

Tony, I wish you best of luck, and will give a reference for you to any hard butted woman who you might be interest in (she has to be hard butted to put up with you) - perhaps an Army Captain or something!

Also, I wish you good friends, good food, good drink, safe travels and lots of warm coca cola. And should you ever wish to have a visit back in the states, just call....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

-Tony said...

Beyla- Do I know you?