01 July 2007

The Good Just Keeps Getting Better

After my trip to Alsace I was inspired to do some cooking.

“What kind of cooking Uncle Tony?”

Well, I would have to say I was inspired to cook something Alsatian. And what could possibly be better than the Alsatian take on the French classic: Coq au Vin (Chicken cooked in wine)? The classic French version uses a red wine (usually a burgundy, I believe). In Alsace they do a Coq au Riesling, and since I didn’t happen to have an old rooster (and the commissary was out of whole chickens), I used four chicken thighs. When I look back upon it now, I should have used six thighs. However by the time I realized this it was too late to thaw any more.

Anyway, I browned the thighs in a little olive oil and butter, added some leeks, some celery, and a grated carrot (and salt & pepper of course). Sautéed this for a while before adding about ½ bottle of Riesling and some dried herbs.

Coq au Riesling


In another pan I sautéed some mushrooms and some garlic in a little butter and olive oil.

Coq au Riesling


When the mushrooms were soft I added them to the chicken, along with some cream. Let this simmer for a while, and cooked some rice. Served it up over some rice with a nice Barth Oestricher Riesling.

Coq au Riesling

Very nice.

Saturday morning I went to the Metzgerei and bought some force meats.

Smoked Meats from the Metzgerei

Saturday’s breakfast consisted of … if you guessed Blutwurst, you are today’s winner! Of course I had to hit the glistening little slivers of porcine perfection with some Sriracha.

Saturday Breakfast

Sunday’s breakfast was a little more elaborate. I fried up some fresh white bratwurst with some leeks in a little olive oil. Cooked two eggs, over easy, and added two pieces of Challah.


Breakfast of the Mediocre

Had it with a cup of Joe that I made in my nifty new coffee press I bought at IKEA. I know; I’m turning into a complete Euro-weenie. But truth be told, I was wondering for a while how the coffee presses worked (and how well). A guy I work with uses one and told me he really likes it. I sprung the 10 Euros (~$13.50) for it, and by God it makes decent coffee. I’d like to think I had something to do with it. I did after all pour the water in at ~180 degrees Fahrenheit (I had checked it with my meat thermometer, but I didn’t break out the digital one). If the temperature is allowed to go much over 180 degrees it begins to extract the tannic acid from the beans which makes the coffee bitter. I still need to experiment with how long to leave it on the grounds for the best coffee, but I’ll figure it out.

I spent most of Saturday arranging my apartment. Remember when I said that jobs like this require long periods of procrastination?

I think I am getting close to having the ultimate apartment. It is at the very least a great apartment. What do you think?

Ideal Living Room


I know what you're thinking,


"Sure Tony, it's a nice apartment, but I don't see anything so great about it"

... Look closely ...

"I am looking at it, and it looks just the same as the picture you posted a couple of weeks ago"

... Click on the picture to blow it up ...

"It's as big as my screen will go, I just don't see what's..."

... Look closer ...

"Did you clean it? Is that what I'm supposed to see?"

... No, look to the left in the room ...

"Yeah, it's a chair ... and a ... wait a damn minute ... this is your living room?"

... Yes ...

"Tony, you are a God Damned Genius!"




I think I made the jump from a good apartment to a great apartment when I moved in the appliance you see on the left into the room. See, I have four refrigerators in this place and they are all small. I had this one in a closet that I am using as a pantry, and it just took up too much space in there. There was not really another place where it fit, and I didn’t want to put it in my bedroom. So naturally, I moved it into my living room.

It shouldn't be a big deal anyway, it’s almost empty …

Running a Little Low


I also came into possession of a 220 Volt/50 Hz turntable. So while I was doing the arranging, I was enjoying the melodious sounds of the High Sherriff Ricky Barnes and the Hoot Owls (on OKra Records no less).

And to top it all off, While I was at the Asian grocery this week I found that they had different flavors of Flying Goose Brand Sriracha. Now I am a Rooster Brand Sriracha man from way back, and do not especially care for the Flying Goose Brand. Well it comes in small bottles so it was worth a shot. It comes in lemongrass, ginger, onion, and extra garlic flavors. I grabbed a bottle of the extra garlic, and I must report that it is pretty damn good.

Sriracha

Now the regular Rooster Brand Sriracha is still my everyday “go to” hot sauce. But when I need the extra punch of some heat with an extra dose of garlic, I am covered.

With the blutwurst and the extra garlic hot sauce it's probably a good thing that the guy that sits behind me is on vacation this week!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Four refrigerators - genius.

I haven't heard the High Sherriff Ricky Barnes and the Hoot Owls since - well - since you left! Funney enough I still find myself wondering "Who throw dat rock?"

Steven.

-Tony said...

"Don't tell me it was my wife, 'cause she can't throw that hard!"

Anonymous said...

Just picked up the SCOTS "Countrypolitan Favorites" it's a bunch of cover tunes - but it's pretty cool!! These guys are quickly becoming one of my top 10 all-time faves.

Steven.

Anonymous said...

If you don't mind sharing... where is the Asian market in Wiesbaden? I'm on a hunt for some ingredients and can't seem to locate any of them, though I've heard there are several.

Thanks!
Kim

-Tony said...

Kim,
There are several but I've only been to two of them. One was on Dotzheimerstrasse close to downtown and the one I go to more often is on Dostojewskistrasse by Tasty's Donner place (it's a little bit bigger than the one on Dotzheimer). It's near the old US Air Force Hospital that is now a German police barracks or something. Near Schiersteinerstrasse and the 2nd Ring (on the street behind the REWE).
Hope this helps, I may be able to find more if you need them.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tony,

Greetings from St. Croix mon.

We have had a blast here - though the food is nothing to write home about. Conch is out of season so I didn't get to try that. The mahi-mahi was not fresh. The shrimp was fresh and therefore pretty good but I can get that in South Carolina - so I was unimpressed.

We went on a day cruise and snorkled the reef at Buck Island National Monument. That was a lot of fun. On the way back we stopped at a "private" beach (no such thing but that is what the captain said - who am I to argue) and he grilled mahi-mahi on the barby. That was fresh fish and it was great.

Did you know that they have mongooses (mongeese???) on St. Croix? They were brought over here years ago (probably by the Brits) to control snakes. Unfortunately, after they polished off the snakes they started in on the native lizards - some of which were pretty neat (I'm told) - the operative word being "were" - those mongeese (mongooses???) are apparently pretty hungry little boogers.

Anyway, we are waiting for the shuttle to take us to the airport to head back to the states.

Talk to yu later.


W.