25 July 2007

Damage

Here’s a picture of the damage to back of my truck.

damage

You can see that the damage is not really that extensive. I stopped at the Toyota dealership on my way home from the accident so they could order the plastic light cover. I don’t know how long the rest will take to get sorted out, but I want to get this replaced as soon as possible. I don’t think they sell Tacomas in Germany, so I thought it may take a while to get the part in. Even if they don’t do body work (and I don’t know if they do or not), the part will be on its way. Worse case scenario, I buy the part from them and take it to a guy who does bodywork.

I went to the Metzgerei on Saturday and bought the following bunch of goodies…

Fruits of the Metzgerei

Here’s the index…

meat-index

1 – Mettwurst (a smoked sausage made of roughly ground veal and pork)
2 – Wildschwein Schinken (Ham from a wild boar)
3 – Zunge (tongue from a calf)
4 – Blutwurst (blood sausage)
5 – Bierwurst (I actually like the name better than the sausage, it’s a little rough for an emulsified sausage, an has a strange flavor that I haven’t nailed down yet)
6 – Bier Knackers (the real Slim Jims)

Sunday morning, I made a tongue omelet. Went something like this…

Cut up some onion and yellow bell pepper (‘cause I had it in the fridge)…

onions and peppers

Julienned about three slices of tongue…

julienne of tongue

Sautéed them in a little Olive Oil, with salt & pepper, and a pinch of crushed red pepper (the pizza stuff)…

tongue with onions and peppers

Beat three eggs and mixed them around in a hot pan until slightly set…

3 eggs slightly set

Placed the tongue mixture into the center, with some Parmiggiano shavings and a little more salt & pepper…

mix lovingly laced inside

Folded it, hit it with some chives, s&p, and a healthy ribbon of sriracha. Served it up with some nice bread and some schmaltz…

Tongue Omelete

It browned a little more than I would have liked, but it sure was tasty!

I just got a new book in the mail this week. Can you guess where I’ll be this weekend?

New Book

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a truck now . . .

I never could get in to omelet's much - eggs have such a delicate taste the other goodies tend to obscure them.

My mom always served tongue with a wicked horseradish sauce - that'd kill the egg taste for sure - but it sure did taste good :-)

So - are you reading Harry Potter??

-Steven.

Anonymous said...

After looking at the photo from your recent shopping trip, I am going to guess you will spend the weekend with a good book in the bathroom! I am also going to guess we may be reading about the strange noises going on in your stomach again also.

Judy

-Tony said...

No Steven, I'm not reading Harry Potter. I refuse to be a victim!

Anonymous said...

Tony:
If you go to Belguim, let us know if they brew beers other than Belguim style, and of course let us know how they are. It's a shame we couldn't ship a case of Gibbon's over to you. That way, when you visit the monks in the Abbey you could trade a Gibbon's for one of their beers. That would be funny.

Anonymous said...

Tony,

Glad to see you are sticking to that low cholesterol diet the doctor recommended.

If that omelet doesn't thicken your blood to the consistency of day old concrete, nothing will.

I have a name for you concoction, "My cardiologist can kiss my ass." ("Heart attack on a plate" seemed too tame.)

W.