05 May 2007

How I Spent my Derby Vacation ..... OR ..… I Know What You Did Last Derby

So I spent my Derby Day looking at apartments. I’ve got one more to check out tomorrow, but it is looking like the Blues Brother’s Special is in the lead. If for no other reason than the landlord is a hoot. The place also has a part-time Polish gardener who is a full-time cook in Wiesbaden. I am hoping to be able to convince him to teach me how to make Kapusta. That way, at least Gary Z will be looking forward to my return, even if no one else is (especially after the threat of bringing Kapusta with me).

I did see a really nice place in Wiesbaden, which might be a good fit for me. It is in a pricier neighborhood though, and my mere presence may lower the property values enough to inflame international tensions.

Still, I can feel the wine country pulling me in…

In any case I need to make a decision by Monday. The girls at the housing office told me that they don’t have any appointments available to write a contract till the 17th. However, when I told them that I’d bring doughnuts, they promised that they would fit me in.

I went to the Farmer’s Market this morning and bought some apples and some sausages. The guy at the sausage place (just one of many) told me that everything that they had was from Austria. So I got one of each of the larger ones and a couple of smaller ones. Add in some bourbon and God’s favorite hot sauce, and I knew that I had the makings of a perfect Derby snack. I was going to make a mint julep, but since I don’t have any sugar, or mint, it looks like it will have to be just bourbon and ice.

Derby Day 2007

I will definitely miss the traditional Cheeseburgers and Onion Rings from White Castle afterwards.

I went downstairs a little while ago to the bar at the hotel. I thought I may be able to drum up some interest in the “Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sport”, and get a Mint Julep out of the deal. However, since I never go there I did not realize that the bar in the hotel is closed on Saturdays. “A bar closed on Saturday?” you ask. Well, so did I. It actually makes perfect sense when you take into account our Government’s almost religious devotion to non-profit economics.

There are always ads on the television bragging about how AAFES (Army & Air Force Exchange Service) takes 20% of what they make and gives it back to the troops in various ways. Well, I don’t think I’m alone in wishing that they would spend a little of that 20% and hire a few more cashiers. This may actually improve the quality of life for the troops by not making them stand in line and wait ungodly amounts of time for absolutely everything.

It would also improve the quality of my life for that very same reason. And let’s face it, that’s what is REALLY important.

No comments: