28 May 2007

Here's hoping that your Memorial Day is ... well … memorable

a) It’s a three-day weekend.

b) I just moved into a new place.

c) Therefore, I am spending my three day weekend getting my place in order (or some semblance thereof).

Now, isn't that just a nifty little syllogism?

So I spent my weekend unpacking, and going to stores for various things. Because the walls of my new apartment are concrete block (i.e. no studs) I had to get some screws with plastic anchors. I needed these because I have to attach my CD rack to the wall. I discovered this phenomenon one time, a while back, when it fell over while it was half full. ‘twas not a pretty site. And yes, at the risk of having my engineering degree rescinded, it was the top half that was full.

I attached the rack and got all of my CDs and LPs put up.

CDs & LPs

Next, I needed to get some stereo equipment to play these things on. Since the electricity here is 220 Volts/50 Hz, and all of my equipment is 110 Volt/60 Hz. The voltage can be ramped down using transformers, but I cannot change the cycles. My TV works with the transformer, but anything with a motor will run slower (and hotter).


So I headed down to Vogelweh (in the Ramstein area) to go to the Power Zone. The Power Zone is the area of the PX that has all of the electronic stuff, and Vogelweh is supposed to have the big one around here. It has quite a bit of electronic equipment, but did not seem to have what I was looking for. Everything seemed to be Home Theater Systems. I was walking around looking for a CD player to put on my shelf, but all I could find was DVD players.

“Surely people are still using CD players”, I thought. I could see the racks of CDs for sale from where I stood. They still sell CD players, right? Am I really that out of it? Did I not get the memo or something? (I got the one about the TPS Reports.) Forgetting about turntables for right now, I just need something, besides my computer that will play CDs. I don’t need a Home Theater System, I don’t need a big screen TV, I just need something that will play my CDs, Dammit!

Finally, and with great reluctance, I wandered over to the section with the compact systems that look more like spaceships than stereos. I am somewhat frustrated at this point. I feel like a man with a fork in a world of soup. I settled on a JVC system that has a 5 CD/DVD changer, with auxiliary inputs (most didn’t) for a turntable when I can get one. It also has a video output, and therefore, it is basically a Home Theater System.

The speakers have built in subwoofers, and actually have two sets of wires to each speaker, so you can turn off the subwoofer. I think I’ll keep the subwoofers at level 1; anything else seems to rattle the house more than the trains out front. It also has more blinking lights than Las Vegas. Here is a picture of the monstrosity ... uh ...
my new stereo system …

Space Age Stereo

And here is a picture of my expanded Home Theater. It cost me a couple of hundred bucks, but it is dual voltage. With the proper adapter, it will work anywhere in the world. Bonus points to the first one to write in with the band. (I made this one visual, so you couldn’t just type some words into a search engine; not that any loyal visitors to The Haven would do such a thing).

Home Theater

Some of you wanted to see some pictures of the inside of my apartment. Well here is one.

Bagdad in the Reingau

You’ll probably notice that, much like any other place I’ve lived for any period of time, it looks sort of like Bagdad.

This is just the mess while I am unpacking. On the floor in front of the table you can see my useless stereo equipment that I sought to replace. It will go into a storage room in the basement along with a few other things. It will come out once again upon my triumphant return.

Well I will leave you with a picture of my Memorial Day breakfast. A plain omelet w/hot sauce, some bread w/schmaltz, and some espresso.

Memorial Day Breakfast

As a bonus, for those of you who are not ‘bandwidth challenged”, I present more data to back up my assertion that all female violin players are hot…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl6o_1s50AQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOda1JTJC0Q

I may have to do some more research before I include cello players in that statement, but this is a convincing opening argument.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not being able to Google the subject did make it difficult, but maybe not impossible.

Would it be Paul Weller from either JAM or Style Council?

Hmmmmmm.....

PMG

Janie said...

Thanks for the pics of your homestead, it made it seem like you were in Louisville and we were never seeing you instead of being on the other side of the ocean. You are right, it looks like your house in Louisville!

Since you've been making fun of my Irish Pup, when are you getting a big studly German Shepherd to make your house a home?

Anonymous said...

The band is either Style Council or The Jam.

-Tony said...

The band on the TV is the Jam. In fairness I have to give the points to PMG because I did not stipulate that asking your brother does not count. Oh well the points are redeemable for absolutely nothing anyway.

Jimmy I would have thought you would know it was the Jam and not the Style Council (another Paul Weller band that was nowhere near as good). You can't hide behind that Anonymous tag forever.

And Janie, I don't think that I will be getting a dog over here. Since I had to give up my previous dogs to foster (albeit better) parents. But why would it have to be a German Shepherd? Why not a Doberman, Rotweiller, or the most feared of the German breeds, the Dachshund?

Janie said...

b/c I had a German Shepherd as a kid and it was a great dog! I would imagine you would not be a dachshund kind of guy - that was the other breed of pup I was considering!

Anonymous said...

No points since I knew the band? You're one tough hombre.