07 January 2008

Dreary Days in the Fatherland …

After viewing an almost idyllic sunrise on the morning of my departure, I was greeted with the cold and grey skies of winter in Germany. After an uneventful, but 14 hour long journey I arrived in Frankfurt on Saturday morning. After picking up my bags, I got into a taxi and headed for the Rheingau. Of course it was just as dreary there. However, I did get to the Metzgerei and managed to pick up some Blutwurst for the weekend.

I took a three hour nap Saturday afternoon so that I would be able to stay awake and watch my beloved Cardinals beat up on the UK Wildcats. Sunday I did some food shopping and laundry, then went to a friend’s house for dinner.

Today was my first day back to work and it appears that while I was gone, and quite unbeknownst to me, our Oktoberfest trip has turned into the stuff of legend. Everybody was asking me about it, and claiming that they were definitely in for next year. We will have to see about that, but I think that I will start trying to make reservations soon. If any of the Havenites or Havenettes want to get in on this deal, let me know ASAP.

Today is another dreary and grey day.


The Nussbrunnen looks sad up there…

Nussbrunnen



The unadorned grape vines appear almost lonely…

Bare vines



The view out the backdoor is just as bad. Stark and unrepentant tangles of brown trees by the roadside …

Rear View



But wait, is that the sun breaking through he clouds?


No, it's coming from inside the house.


What is under that grail-shaped-beacon that is calling out to me?


"Come inside", it calls out to me.


It’s so bright… so beautiful… its siren song is so hard to resist.


For some reason, I'm beginning to feel that everything will be just fine ...


Things are looking brighter

3 comments:

Steven said...

It appears that your initial elastic deflection has evolved into permanent set.

-Steven.

Anonymous said...

T

Glad you made it back to the Fatherland okay. I'm a little confused with regards to your weather report though. I thought global warming had turned Germany into a tropical region. Has that moron Al Gore been lying again?

Speaking of global warming - I was reading this website about the improved farming conditions in Greenland and this pinko was talking about the Vikings colonizing Greenland and farming there and then all of the suddend the Vikings just pulled up stakes and left and no one knows why!! My seventh grade history teacher knew why. He said it was because the little ice age made it colder than a well digger's elbow there and all the Vikings could grow was ice so they left. Of course that was before Al convinced the teeming masses that it had never been above fifty degrees F in Miami, Florida before man-made global warming came along and ruined everything.

W

Anonymous said...

T.

Found an interesting site for your consideration. Its called the First Friday Collective.

This is their web address:

http://firstfriday.wordpress.com


Just so you know.


W