04 September 2008

Where there is smoke…

Where there is Smoke...

Well here at the Haven anyway ...


where there is smoke ...

there is pork*.

Pork

And where there is pork,


there is …

well …

More Pork

more pork!

I smoked a pork shoulder, a chicken, and ten racks of baby-back ribs this past weekend.

It was the End-of-Summer/Beginning-of-College-Football/Opening-Day-of-Training-Camp-for-the-Oktoberfest Blowout Bash here at the Haven. We must have had 30 adults, and a passel of kids running around my backyard. It was quite a party.

And while we didn’t finish all of the pork shoulder, we certainly went through all the ribs, the chicken, several salads and dips, a 12 pack of bottled water, seven bottles of wine, a pint of bourbon, and at least three cases of beer.

I think I can consider myself and some friends officially “in-training”.

The only problem with having a party like this is…

The Day After

And this is after we went through about 35 paper plates! And don’t get me started on the number of glasses I had to wash…

The Day After

And even though I’m still cleaning up (on Thursday), after all was said and done, I think I’d have to call it a success.

This weekend?

Well, since I will need to be in Belgium for work on Monday and Tuesday, I thought I might as well catch an early train Saturday morning and go to Brussels for the weekend.

Weekend de la Biére that is!

I mean … I am in training, after all.


* I mean unless, of course, I have horribly burned something on the stove**.

** and there is probably pork in whatever is being burnt anyway.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ug,

For the first time in my life, I think I might be jealous. Not of you of course, it's that pork. The picture even smells good. The dishes, well not so jealous of that.

Anonymous said...

T.

Sorry Donna and I could'nt make it last weekend. (That whole 3,000 miles away thing and whatnot.) Looks like a good time was had by all.

The only thing I can see that you were missing was a pig's head. Like the one you should have procured in Spain. A picture of that big old head resting comfortably in you smoker would have been classic.

Oh well, another golden opportunity shot to hell.

Seriously, I wish I could have been there.

W

Anonymous said...

That's long way from plastic cups, and "hot" meat cooked over an open fire in the woods. At least the cleanup was simple in those days. Throw everything in the fire and "PEE" it out. Ohhh no urine hits. (I know you're chuckling)

Uncle Synder

-Tony said...

Uncle Snyder,

You had me at "hot" meat!