19 July 2008

Change is in the Air…

No, I’m not talking about Obama.

This being my 100th posting, I thought it was time for a re-design of this thing. I did this to be able to show the photos larger on the main page. Since I don’t think anyone reading this is still using a dial-up modem, the increase in picture size shouldn’t slow things down too much. There will continue to be more photos on the flickr page. Please feel free to let me know how you like the new layout (or if you don’t), if the color scheme works, and whether it is easier or more difficult to read than the old layout. Truth is I’m not really sold on it myself yet.

Ireland (continued)

We left Cork in the rain, on a bus to Kilkenny. The trip was nice, and the weather came around on the ride. The bus took us through some very pretty rolling hills and lots of open spaces. The fields were incredibly green and had small hedgerows and overgrown stone walls dividing them. It seemed like they mostly grow grass here. However, in the spring time, from a moving bus, it would be difficult for me to pick out the differences between grass, oats, barley, or wheat.

We arrived in Killkenny and had to walk about a mile to our Bed & Breakfast, where we dropped off our bags and proceeded to walk the mile back into town. We wandered around town, took pictures, had a few pints, explored a bit more, pissed in an alley behind St. Mary’s Cathedral, had dinner, a few more pints, and watched some local rock band at Matt the Millers for a while before heading back to the B&B.

Matt the Millers

Kilkenny Beer Sign W/St Mary's Cathedral

Kilkenny Castle

Kilkenny (Chill Chainnigh was one of the Gaelic spellings I saw) is a pretty little town that seems to be based mainly upon tourism. Inside of the town most of the homes are very small row-homes, some of which are painted some pretty wild colors. Outside of the city it resembles the U.S. a little more, with individual homes on decent sized lots with lawns. In fact I saw a landscaper’s truck there, and I think it was the first one I’ve seen in Europe.

Elvis House

The next morning we had a nice breakfast at the B&B, checked out, and walked the mile to the train station and hopped on the train to Dublin.

5 comments:

Janie said...

Hi Tony - glad you are back!

On the layout - I like the bigger pictures - can't say I'm a fan of the green...

Anonymous said...

Tony,

Glad to see you're back. I was starting to worry. Nothing much has changed here in the states.

We are still on the fast track to hell - but Jesus Obama is going to save us all. (At least that's what the good folks at the CNN keep telling us.

Word has it that we have pretty much won the war in Iraq but Jesus Obama is planning to surrender anyway. Jesus is really worried about how long the troops have been / will be in Iraq. I wonder if he has any idea how long our troops have been in Germany. If he did, he would probably faint.

Keep up the good work.

Oh, I suspect Ireland left a bigger impression on you than you think, but I kind of like the green.

W

Janie said...

I looked again, and the green is growing on me, especially after I spent like 2 hours trying to change my blog! I like the new okra photo.......

-Tony said...

I'm not sure how I feel about the green. I can pretty much assure you that it has nothing to do with Ireland though. I was trying to keep some green in the site, because it's the Okra Haven and Okra is green. It really goes no further than that.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tony:

I like your new blog layout, but I can't say I didn't like the old layout. The photo of the Elvis tribute is, at the very least, interesting.

Hope all is well.

Steven.